What is the 2020 BMW X5 Towing Capacity?
When properly equipped with the right powertrain configuration and a BMW X5 tow hitch, the 2020 BMW X5 towing capacity reaches a 7,200-pound maximum. That’s a whole lot of power for San Francisco drivers to take advantage of – more than enough to get a compact camper out to the Northern California Redwoods for a family camping trip while enjoying the luxury interior. Find out what’s needed to get to the maximum new BMW X5 towing capacity and explore some helpful towing features, below.
BMW X5 Towing Specs by Powertrain
There are four powertrain configurations available for the 2020 BMW X5, each with an 8-speed automatic transmission. The base model features rear-wheel drive as the standard drivetrain, while upper trims boast the BMW xDrive all-wheel drive system, which is an ideal option for more traction and stability with a trailer in tow. Take a look at how your engine choice will affect the BMW X5 towing performance, right here:
BMW X5 sDrive40i 3.0L Twin-Turbo V6 Engine: This base engine comes with standard RWD, generating 335 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque.
- 7,200-pound maximum towing capacity
- 827 pounds payload capacity
- 4,758 pounds curb weight
BMW X5 xDrive40i 3.0L Twin-Turbo V6 Engine: Step up to this powertrain for standard AWD and enjoy 335 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque.
- 6,602-pound maximum towing capacity
- 849 pounds payload capacity
- 4,813 pounds curb weight
BMW xDrive50i 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V8 Engine: Also featuring standard AWD, this upper-range engine option boasts 456 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque.
- 6,603-pound maximum towing capacity
- 871 pounds payload capacity
- 5,170 pounds curb weight
BMW X5 M50i 4.4L TwinPower Turbo V8 Engine: As the range-topping powertrain, this engine employs AWD and generates an impressive 523 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque.
- 7,200-pound maximum towing capacity
- 882 pounds payload capacity
- 5,260 pounds curb weight
What is the BMW X5 Tow Package?
San Jose drivers who opt for the 2020 BMW X5 xDrive40i or the X5 xDrive50i will have the option to add on a factory-installed BMW X5 tow hitch, for an added cost of $550. This Class III trailer hitch is needed to reach the maximum BMW X5 towing capacity, but it’s important to note that the foot-activated tailgate will need to be removed in order to install it.
BMW X5 Off-Road Package
If you have big plans to take your camper or boat on rugged terrain, you’d do well to consider the optional Off-Road Package. For an added $3,950, this package inspires confidence during BMW X5 towing by equipping your vehicle with the following features:
- Two-Axle Air Suspension: This advanced suspension system gives your vehicle the power to raise and lower itself as necessary by 1.6 inches, so long as you’re traveling at a low speed.
- Electronically-Controlled Rear Differential Lock: Called the M Sport Differential, this feature offers rear-wheel locking for increased stability while cornering.
- xOffroad Package: Includes mechanical differential lock, front and rear underguard elements to protect the undercarriage, as well as four off-roading drive modes: Sand, Rocks, Gravel, and Snow. Switch between modes as necessary and your X5 will adjust the vehicle height and powertrain settings to accommodate the terrain ahead.
Get Behind the Wheel With East Bay BMW!
Are you ready to take on new Dublin adventures in the 2020 BMW X5? If you have additional questions about the BMW X5 Tow Package or would like to arrange a test drive, please contact us for assistance. In addition to the BMW X5 tow hitch, our team can introduce you to some other popular X5 accessories during your conversation, and we’ll even help you compare the X5 to competitors like the Acura MDX!
More from East Bay BMW
What is the cost of a BMW 2 Series? There are four track-ready models available in the 2021 BMW 2 Series lineup, starting with the iconic 2 Series Coupe for a starting price of $35,900 MSRP. San Francisco commuters looking to upgrade their daily drives with a new 2 Series can explore the full 2021 BMW…
With a premium HiFi 10-speaker sound system and an expansive panoramic moonroof, the 2020 BMW X5 interior is sure to take your San Francisco driving experience to new heights. You can check out more of the BMW X5 interior features with East Bay BMW below, plus gain some insight on the new BMW X5 seating capacity and cabin…
If you’re in the market for a versatile, capable luxury sport utility vehicle, the 2020 BMW X3 is a formidable choice for your weekend home improvement projects and family camping trips in the Bay Area. While you sit immersed in the cabin’s luxury, your new BMW X3 towing capacity can haul up to 4,400 pounds…